There are 4 levels in Outdoor Girls:
- Seeker: This level is taught in meetings and activities by leaders and other girls. The symbol for Seeker level is air (bird, dragonfly, cloud). The color is orange.
- Tracker: This level is more in-depth, still earned at meetings mostly from adult leaders. The symbol for Tracker is earth (animal, paw print, tree, flower). The color is purple.
- Explorer: This level is more about independent learning. The symbol for Explorer is water (fish, dragonfly, amphibian, water drop). The color is blue.
- Star: This level is about teaching, advanced skills and adventure. The symbol for Star is fire (4-pointed star or compass star). The color is white.
- All members, including adults, begin as Seekers.
- Once a girl has earned 24 Seeker badges, she moves up to Tracker. 24 Tracker badges moves her to Explorer. 24 Explorer badges moves her to Star.
- The highest honor in Outdoor Girls is the Order of the Star, awarded by earning all 32 badges at all 4 levels, and it can be earned at any age.
We have 4 rules that govern us:
- Be honest.
- Be safe.
- Be fair.
- Be kind.
How Much Does It Cost
Annual membership fees are $30.00 and are used as follows:
$ 10.00 Uniform t-shirt purchased from a local provider.
3.00 Average cost of insurance through Nationwide.
7.00 Administrative costs i.e. printing, bandwidth, etc.
10.00 Meeting supplies and equipment
- Adults and additional family members are only $15.00, to cover a shirt and insurance. This allows more family members to participate.
- One new shirt is provided each year. Additional/replacement shirts can be purchased for $10.00 each.
- A badge holder necklace is provided at each new level. A replacement can be purchased for $1.00 if one is lost. The Girl should earn this money herself.
- There are no books; all badge requirements are provided.
- Fundraisers are community events (concession stands, car washes, dances, etc.), not product sales.
How It Works - The Basics
We have 4 goals for girl development:
- Become confident by accomplishing.
- Become leaders by leading.
- Become teachers by teaching.
- Become good citizens by serving.
What does my Outdoor Girl need?
- The uniform is a logo t-shirt (provided) and should be worn to meetings.
- A simple necklace with a level charm (provided) is used for badges the girls have earned. Girls are awarded stone beads to add to their bracelet as they are earned.
- For meetings, hair longer than shoulder length should be up and sneakers are suggested - we do a lot of running and often go on unexpected hikes.
- A mess kit and sleeping bag are useful. The mess kit can usually be put together out of kitchen extras - plastic please. Sleeping bags can often be borrowed from family or friends if you don't have one.